Literature For the Illiterate »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bobby Lobby gets a jobby. Money, ugh. I learned poker by playing darts. Top pay = Top shelf.

My days off went well. After work on Saturday i went home grabbed a bite to eat and crashed. Halloween festivities are exhausting. I went to bed early and slept in, it was nice. I got up and played poker, which is exactly what i told myself i wasn't going to do. Remember? I was taking a break, surely you've read all about it right? Anyway, Full Tilt Poker decided to credit my account with money they had confiscated from people that were cheating in games that i had played months prior. Nice! So instead of cashing out i fire up a few tables and grab some coffee. Meghyn was fast asleep and it looked as if she would be down for at least a few more hours. So, Marley watched Noggin, while I played poker. It was all well and good for a while but I convinced myself it would be a good idea to try and satellite into a big tournament that started that evening. I've played this tournament several times in the past and have cashed in it more times than not. Not bad for a tournament that gets 4,000 entrants and has a first place price of $132,000. My best finish in this particular tournament is 52nd place, and that paid just shy of 2k. So i am really comfortable playing this tournament and i really want to satellite into it for cheap. I grind and grind for several hours, and i just can't seem to win. Meghyn wakes up and i call it a day for poker. Maybe next time. Afternoon rolls around and its gorgeous day outside so we make plans to head to the dog park, which is very over due for the Murphy dog. We message Trent to see if he wants some sunlight, he does so he heads over. I hop in the shower and maybe 2 minutes later Meghyn is pounding on the door and screaming. The shower and fan are pretty loud, but I make out just enough to know that Children's Hospital just called me. For those of you playing at home you know this is VERY good news. This is a job that I have been trying to get for quite some time now. I'm confident this job will trump anything that Cincinnati Bell would offer me, so im pretty excited. Meghyn takes the message for me and i call them back after pacing the house for a bit. No answer, DAMN! I leave a polite message and now all i can do is wait, ugh! Hours pass and I hear nothing, I know i put my cell phone number on my resume, but i don't want to chance it. Finally Trent arrives to head to the dog park. I decide to call back and leave another message with my cell number. On to the DP we go! No sooner do i put the car in park and get the baby and dog out, my cell rings. I talk with the man for a good 30 minutes, and it goes really well. He gives me the ins and outs of the job, and to be completely honest, it sounds super easy. Apparently he thought the job was very demanding, challenging, and frustrating. I could tell by the way he was describing the job and the questions he was asking me. He was trying to get a feel for how comfortable i was, and trust me folks i was very comfortable. I had a perfect answer for every question. He seemed impressed with my resume, and i could tell he wanted me on his team. I've made a living talking on the phone and i can tell when someones blowing smoke and when they are sincere. So after a little more chit chat i have him laughing, and at this point I'm pretty sure he knows there is nothing i can't handle over the phone. He tells me to check my email the next day to see when to come in for a face to face interview, BINGO! I check the email last night, and my interview is tomorrow at 9:30am, YIKES that was quick. Now I'm worrying about what to wear, what I'm going to say, and just a nervous mess all around. I can get through it, I'm confident in my knowledge and skills, but I'm worried about the money. It's more than I've ever made, and i want as much as i can get! There web site shows a starting salary like X - XXX and believe me there is a big difference between there low and there high. I've never been a very good negotiator, I'm the kind of guy who eats the broccoli the waiter brings to me after ordering mashed potatoes with my steak, i just go with the flow. I don't want to get suckered and i sure as hell don't want to get low balled. I guess it boils down to how qualified they think i am, and what they think I'm capable of. Hopefully i will soon have an entry about getting top dollar for my services, but until that time its just high hopes.

Today i leave you on a good note, speakers up please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm the kind of guy who eats the broccoli the waiter brings to me after ordering mashed potatoes with my steak.."

That is exactly what you are. I wish I had such a tidy sum-up for myself.

"Crazy-nuts" mayhap?

One thing I have stood by is that once people meet you, they ADORE you. The only thing I feel sad about... the beard :( I wish you could just cover it up with makeup instead of trimming it short.

Maybe you could tuck it into your collar?!

<3

MeWkiE said...

I am afraid to see what has happened (that looks wrong0 to das beard. Maybe I can catch up now...eh who are we kidding. GL w/ all that job bizznazz. Suck if you leave, cool if you get paid!

You would get mashed taters w/ a steak? damn I am tired...
oh if you need added incentive :

TWC