Literature For the Illiterate »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wanted: drummer for rock band 2. Sign me up! Larosas makes me feel crappy. Another one bites the dust.





Typical day at work today. Had a Rock Band II contest, free pizza, pasta, salad ect. Talked to complete A-holes, and tried to relax. Then it happened....
I got this text message: "Apply ASAP" Now, you might think you have it all figured out because your an avid reader of this silly blog, well i assure you, you are wrong! This was a message i have been waiting for for several months, well before i was told to apply for a competing company's NOC job. Its for Children's Hospital, and its a damn fine job. So now i have some things to think about. I guess its time to press the suit, shine the shoes and go to some interviews. Salary is one concern i suppose, but both jobs are almost twice what I'm making now. Trying not to get my hopes up, but i do want to be prepared and i want to make the right move. I am perfectly content where I'm at, I'm comfortable here but as they say... money talks.


Halloween is tomorrow and i have yet to decide what i will be. Kristin is having a party and it should be a good time. Meghyn is going as Tank Girl.
I'm thinking pirate again, but that's what i was last year, and i pretty much act and look like a pirate all year anyway so i don't know. Marley will be staying with Meghyn's parents, and i hope that goes smoothly. I really want Meghyn to have a good time (she deserves it) and I don't want her to worry too much about leaving Marley. Im sure we will both worry, it's our responsibility to make sure our daughter is safe. Meghyn's parents are fully qualified to handle this, after all they raised three girls and to be honest have done a heck of a job.
Post Halloween pictures to follow....
Did you know?
Hemingway once wrote a story in just six words "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."and is said to have called it his best work. I know he was a brilliant writer, I have read some of his work, its good and i enjoyed it. But, how in the world is this considered a story? One could assume many things about those words. Where did the shoes come from? Who's selling them and why? Why were they never worn? You could develop any story you want with just those six words, but it would be your story not Hemingway's. I mean, since when is it up to the reader to develop the story, or was that the point? That might explain why he considered it his best work, because anyone who reads it is going to imagine a story that is specifically tailored to their imagination. If that's the case then i suppose it is his best work. A story that can have an endless possibility's, yes i would say that is just brilliant. However, anyone could write like that i have found several people you might be familiar that have tried to duplicate this brilliance.
Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
Margaret Atwood

With bloody hands, I say good-bye.
Frank Miller

Kirby had never eaten toes before.
- Kevin Smith

Easy. Just touch the match to
- Ursula K. Le Guin

Bush told the truth. Hell froze.
- William Gibson

Pain, unutterable pain, stertorous exhalation. Death.
- Will Self

They awaited sunrise. It never came.
- AS Byatt

In the end, everything simply began.
- Ali Smith

Dad called: DNA back: he isn’t.
- Helen Fielding

Dream punctured. Build pyre. Curses… Adolf.
- Beryl Bainbridge

“It can’t be. I’m a virgin.”
- Kate Atkinson

Veni, vidi, vici: heavy the crown.
- Evan Maloney
Now, these people were challenged with the task of creating a six word story, these are not simply one line or partial sentences of something they had previously written. These are all good and i think my imagination could run wild with any one of them, but I'm just not sure i can consider it a story. In any case, it is what it is. I will stop doubting it, and just accept it as brilliant. I guess there is something to be said about being the first to do something. I wonder if Hemingway knew just how much would be written about those six simple words, i know I'm not the only one who has written about them and i won't be the last. Maybe i will write a full story based off of those words, would that be plagiarism? Has it already been done? I think i might do it anyway.
That's all for today, i leave you with this:
"Forget your personal tragedy. We are all bitched from the start and you especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it-don't cheat with it. "
Ernest Hemingway

0 comments: